Quite a list ! As far as pry bars go I think thats a fine idea, and heres why. I use them all the time on the job as a firefighter in an upstate NY city. A small little Stanly bar has let me into many a highrise door, when checking out the "oder of smoke" type calls. Saves us from smashing them down. Those little bars can move the door enough to let me use a screwdriver (even those on multi-tools ) to slip the latch back. Some times the bar alone does the trick. It would seem that it would help you get out past or back into those same doors.

A good multi-tool and small bar make my short list for urban kits. In fact in my left bunker pocket are door wedge,multi-tool and a Stanly bar! Right pocket things to cut me free. wire cutters and folder. Speaking of wire cutters, do you know how many MILES of wires (cable,phone computer,and those foil over wire heat runs) run above your head in buildings?

Guess what happens in a good fire? They can drop down! Fireman have been killed this way, now granted with airpacks and such we have more chance of things getting hung up on us. Just a thought I would think about a multi-tool with a GOOD wire cutter.

Just reread your whole post. If you just want to go from work to home or home to where else, I would lighten up the load. Heres what I carry. Multi-tool,folder or two, Surefire light, photon, cell, 2 4x4s and one small gauze,bandana. If a storm is brewing etc. I throw in a small bar. I agree with spare cash also and i always have an extra layer of cothes.

For going from point A to B, I would toss the cable ties,bug spray sun screen most of the first aid stuff, candles, biners, cord but thats me. Btw I see many homeless folks live outdoors in our city, with winter temps reaching -10 with little more than a few coats and some cardboard. Carry the masks, filters, gloves and googles along with some tools to get you into of of the buildings and deby .Just my 2 cents.

Edited by THIRDPIG (08/13/05 02:18 AM)