Thanks Groo for the input. Interesting leads...I am downsizing the weight as we speak and doing some major rethinking because of the opinions I've gotten on the posts which are all appreciated. The question has to be - what's the least one can do with in the way of materials...
NAro, regarding your post, the reasons for concealing a PSK are several. First off, the need for a PSK is only as a last measure fallback survival pack to be used when you have nothing else because of a worst possible scenario situation like: loosing all your gear while fording a river, theft or destruction of your gear by humans, etc...the human is the animal I fear most in the backcountry because of their unpredictable, violent and destructive nature. (the only animal that kills and maims for no reason - even invented a word for it - "sport"). If one does not have the PSK attached to your body at all times you are at risk. Pants pockets are fine if you are wearing those pants, sleeping in those pants, and don't mind the constant chaffing.Any gear packs attached to your belt or outside your clothing are readily apparent and obviously contain something valuable....