I have carried a Zippo for a number of years and have tried three different fuels and several different types of flints. I started out with the Zippo brand fuel then went to the Zippo Premium both of which I found took several goes at the flint to light unless the lighter was already warmed up. I also tried the Ronsonol fuel available at Wally World once when I was out of fuel. Much to my surprise it worked better for me than the “good” stuff. The flints I buy are the Zippos if available but have found some good ones at a smoke shop as well.
The thing everyone complains about with the Zippo is the fuel evaporation. This is because it is a non-sealed container that is unpressurized. The good news is that they are very unlikely to blow up on you and will light at altitudes that you can’t live at. The bad news is that yes you do have to refuel them. I refuel mine once a week just before I drop it into my dress clothes pocket before I go to church. Yes it is probably an odd memory trick but it does work. Since I remember to refuel it regularly I carry the slim version of the Zippo.
The Zippo works if you do your part and is a simple solid piece of equipment. It will be around long after the flavor of the month kind of wonder lighters are all but forgotten.