Water-take a Katadyn water bottle that has both a filter and iodine treatment
in the cap. Lots of viruses as well as worms there so you need both. Have someone write in Chinese what it is on the bottle so they don't hold you up in the airport wondering what it is. All the hotels have an electric pot for boiling tea water or they will bring you boiling
water for tea if you ask. Use plenty for drinking, brushing teeth etc.

Money-even the Bank of China won't take wrinkled US currency sometimes, bring
only new currency.

I brought several multi tools in my luggage to give as gifts to some drillers I was
working with-no problems in the airports. My wife carried a magnesium fire starter without incident. I also had two bibles and since it was for my own use and in English they didn't care. I left one there with a Tibetan College student who needed a book in English to practice. Incidently, if you try and spread a religion and get caught, they will send you home right away, but the national you try to reach out to will be thrown in jail or worse.

wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands

buy medical evacuation insurance, you don't want to be treated for something serious there. I met a fellow whose doc purposefully made his broken arm worse so he could treat him for a more expensive injury.

The government deals harshly with their own people who harm tourists, so it is pretty safe there for Americans. The pickpockets work in gangs and carry knives so don't make a scene if you catch them.

Food is so cheap and good, try some of the fancy eateries as food is about 1/8 the price of food in the US.