So I'm bored. I pretended I'm going to China, and found several guides / tips / FAQs. One thing is obvious, to me, at least. Nothing you can take with you in a PSK will help as much as simply being familiar with guides like this before going.

Here are some of the more interesting bits:

From our own State Department:
Do not to drink tap water in China. Hotels almost always supply boiled water that is safe to drink. Buy bottled water and/or carbonated drinks. Make sure you carry water purification tablets to use when neither boiled water nor bottled drinks are available.

Be aware that HIV has become a significant concern in China. You should always ask doctors and dentists to use sterilized equipment and be prepared to pay for new syringe needles in hospitals or clinics.

Hospitals have sometimes been reluctant to release patients for medical evacuation in cases where they would prefer to keep the patient for an extended stay.

Ambulances do not carry sophisticated medical equipment, and ambulance personnel generally have little or no medical training. Therefore, injured or seriously ill Americans should take taxis or other immediately available vehicles to the nearest major hospital rather than waiting for ambulances to arrive.

If you are planning to rent an apartment with gas appliances while in China, be aware that in some areas natural gas is not scented to warn occupants of gas leaks or concentrations. Also, heaters may not always be well vented, thereby allowing excess carbon monoxide to build up in living spaces.

From awc-hc.org:
Always carry extra toilet tissue with you . Bathroom facilities, including those where you will have your professional meetings, vary greatly in quality. They generally do not have tissue supplies.

You should carry your passport and airline ticket on your person in a money belt or pouch which you can wear under your clothing. Never leave your passport and travel documents in your luggage at the hotel.

Make one or more copies of your passport photo page, your Chinese visa, and your international airline ticket. Keep these copies with you, but not in your money belt or pouch. If you lose your passport or travel documents, your copies will still be safe and will help their replacement.

We do not recommend drinking tap water anywhere, even at your hotel. The attendants on each floor of your hotel will bring you a thermos of boiled water anytime you ask. You can purchase bottled water from the shops located in your hotel's lobby.