>>Could you connect the cradle to a drycell sled instead of using the DC converter that plugs into the AC outlet?<<<br><br>Well, if the recharging circuits are in the Palm, it shouldn't be necessary, of course. If they are in the cradle, then what you're describing should be possible.. although the recharging circuit might not be able to properly handle low-voltage input (since it's expecting it to come from a wall socket), so using anything less than fresh cells might be a concern. I'm out of my field of expertise, though, so this is just speculation.<br><br>I do know that this whole broad issue is (ostensibly, at least) why Motorola went to having chips on their mobile phone batteries that identify the battery type and the fact that it's a genuine Motorola to the phone. The phone will use after-market batteries, but it won't recharge them.. the problem was that all sorts of wierd third-party devices were being marketed, including compartments that fit the battery well but contained alkaline dry cells.. of course, the first time someone tried to recharge them, there was trouble... and Motorola decided they had to "idiot proof" the whole arrangement in self-defense. I doubt that Palm has done anything that sophisticated with their cradles, but...<br>