KyBooneFan,

I don’t disagree on using a GPS when you are hiking, backpacking, or hunting off trail. Like you, I set a waypoint on my car. Then I look at my compass and see what direction I am walking. I agree that you can get back to your car a lot faster with a GPS. I imagine it has saved a lot of people from being lost. I know I took a wrong turn in my SUV and had to use my GPS to figure out how to get back on the correct dirt road. I also keep my GPS on while deer hunting and treat it like life itself. When using a compass to get back to your car you have to set a bearing that you know will take you beyond your car so you will know what direction to walk, on the road, toward your car.

I meant to say that for any of the day hikes I have taken it has not been useful. On the other hand, when I hike in the Superstition Mountains again I will take my GPS. It is easy to get lost on the trails. My son got lost, in there, when he was hiking with the troop. He lost sight of the other scouts and took a wrong turn.