FWIW, I agree with u on the Grundig. They sell them here at Radioshack, Brookstone and the Discovery Channel Store. They do not seem to me to be very rugged.

I really am interested in of those Freeplay radios that you can get throug the C Crane Company. They resell several mdels that look nice. Does anyone know any stores that carry the Freeplay? I'd like to see one before I purchase. Also, i'm guessing the cost through cCrane is high, because they want 69.95 for the Eton FR300 (which I believe is the same as the Grundig that most places sell for $30 - $40 USD).

I did pick up a small hand crank radio (AM-FM-Weather) at Walgreens for about $12 IIRC. For that price I thought it was worth it, and it seems to work fine, though I'm sure its durability is questionable.

And as far as the original post, I do carry a comapss (Silva clear base I've had since cub scout days) and a Garmin ETrex Legend C in my vehicle BOB.

Michael

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.