Quote:
what's the problem with busting the kid with the dime bag... is it not against the law???
If you're stopped in traffic during a DUI road block, and you've got an ILLEGAL firearm, isn't it STILL against the law???

My problem with it is if it is OK to search everyone (or random people, whatever) in the transit system, why not just search people on the streets? Why not search everyone's place of business and their homes too?

I make a point to not do or carry anything illegal. However, if a police officer stopped me and asked if he could search my car, I'd be inclined not to allow it. Why? Because if we don't protect our rights, we won't have them. If the only people who refused a search were guilty of something, simply refusing implies you are guilty.

I sort of consider standing up for your rights like jury duty. If you and all your peers get out of jury duty, then who, exactly, is going to be sitting there? You have to exercise and stand up for your rights, and you need to perform your duties.

Ok, let's get a bit more practical on how things apply to us here on Equipped. I commute about 25 miles each day. I carry a fair amount of stuff. While there is nothing illegal in there, there is a lot of stuff. Lots of stuff that most people don't carry. Stuff that is carefully packed so it can all fit in a small pack. So I can expect in any sort of search where I get "hit", that I'll be spending a fair amount of time, both getting searched, and then I'll have to try to get things arranged such that they fit back in my pack. If this happens with any sort of frequency, I'd either have to reduce what I carry substantially, or find a different way to transit.

Matt, I'm sorry for what you've had to deal with. And while you probably didn't mean it, I would in fact help with the unpleasant chores if I was allowed/asked. IMO it is all part of the price we pay for our freedom.

-john