Skater,

They are not banned. Returning them from the many foreign militaries to the USA was difficult until President Reagan's administration. The gun itself was not prohibited or required to be registered by either the 1994 Crime Bill or the PRK's (California's) recent laws. That assumes they are in their original condition. Changes or modifications of the gun from its original form could cause the California legal restrictions apply. Magazines holding over 10 rds were severely regulated by both groups of laws. The Federal law expired in 9/05. Sadly, the PRK's restrictions continue to trammel its residents. However, any such high capacity magazines you owned before the effective date of the applicable law are legal for you (but you alone) to use. I am not aware of any restrictions on your personal use of such magazines. You cannot in any way transfer (or lend) such magazines to others.

Enjoy,

Legal Disclaimer: Obviously this post is not meant to provide legal advice, legal representation or relationship, and none exists or is provided. I am not admitted to practice law in any state other than California and am neither doing nor intending to do so. I limit my practice to civil law, and do not practice criminal law. Anyone wanting legal advice or representation should seek his own lawyer admitted to practice law in the prospective client's jurisdiction.

John