handyman,

Hi!

I also like the .357 Mag. The caliber is sufficiently versatile to handle small and medium sized game, as well as defense. It is my choice in a revolver for a survival gun. Adding a carbine in the same caliber increases its capability and simplifies your logistics. I like the Marlin revolver caliber carbines. I would look for the standard model, the 1894C Carbine, rather than the cowboy model. I believe the latter may not be drilled and tapped for a side-mounted aperture sight like those made by Lyman. Also it is worthwhile to get a new or fairly new production gun. The crux is to make sure you are getting the newer Ballard rifling rather than Marlin's traditional Microgroove (R) rifling. The former has a few deep rifling grooves and the latter many shallow grooves. Ballard rifling is preferable for shooting unjacketed bullets. The Microgroove (R) rifling might require considerably more work to find accurate loads with cast or swaged bullets.

Tom is right on as to the issue of weight. If you are backpacking, the weight of the ammo becomes a significant factor in choosing your caliber. In preparing for a backpacking hunt a few years ago, I weighed my ammo. I primarily needed a flat shooting high powered rifle, but a revolver could add a lot to a trip. Choice of handgun caliber was not critical. I got the following weights for boxes of standard factory ammo:

Revolver (50 rds.): .22 LR--5 oz. (36 gr. bullet)
.32 H & R Mag.--18 oz. (95)
.357 Mag--30 oz. (158)
.44 Mag--59 oz. (240)

Rifle (20 rds.): .30-06--19 oz. (150)

Shotgun (25 rds.) 12 ga.--45 oz. (1.25 oz)
20 ga.--35 oz. (1.0 oz.)

I needed more oomph than a .22. The .32 would have been fine, but I failed to develop any shot loads, and no such factory ammo exists (or even .32 caliber plastic capsules for the shot loads). The .357 worked well.

Alternatives for long guns in survival situations can easily vary depending on circumstances (like whatever it is we are trying to survive) so as to include such divers choices as the following: .30-06 bolt action scoped rifle; semi-automatic defensive rifle; 12 ga. pump; Savage model 24 combination gun in .22LR over 20 ga. Mag. These choices are only as to different conditions I can readily envision applying to my family. YMMV.

Good luck,

John