Personally I agree with Clint Smith... Handguns are for getting to your rifle. I love my SIG220 in .45ACP, extremely reliable, accurate and fits my hand like a glove. I have never had a failure, even in a dirty, wet, or semi-frozen weapon. I carry it everywhere with me (I legally can). It has been there when I needed it and has saved my life. However, given a choice in a fight it will stay securely in my holster because I will be using a long gun. Either my AR-15 or my Remington 870 is in my vehicle just about 24/7 if I'm not home. Both are good weapons and both have their positive and negative attributes.

The AR-15 is light, deadly accurate, easy to carry and reasonably reliable. However, 5.56x45mm is a not my favorite round, however good ammunition goes a ways on improving this weapons reputation (personally Blackhills 68g Heavy Match is my favorite) and the AR requires more care and attention than any other weapon I’d choose to carry. A .22LR kit adds some flexibility to this weapon.

While the 870 is heavy and cumbersome to carry, it is extraordinarily reliable and flexible. Although it is typically loaded with 1oz slugs, 6 00 Buck shells are carried on the receiver and 6 4Buck shells are carried on the stock (along with 2 flares). When I have this in my vehicle I also carry my shotgun bag with has a 50 round pouch each of 00 Buck and 4 Buck, 20 rounds of 1oz Slug, 100 rounds of #7.5 Shot as well as cleaning kit, spare light bulb, batteries, etc. All in all, this would be my choice for most scenarios I can imagine that do not require me to stray too far from my home or vehicle and am not in an environment where the necessity to make a shot beyond 100yd is likely.

I do not like pistol caliber carbines; they seem like a half measure. You can only squeeze so much performance out of a pistol cartridge, and I’d rather carry my AR-15 than one of these. Even the M1 Carbine, although a very good weapon, lacks the performance I’d like out of a long gun. I am also not a fan of wheel guns either, they are reliable accurate… But so is my SIG, which is higher capacity and less bulky (than a comparable caliber revolver)

Either way, my SIG is always there. .45acp is a capable round (especially in 185gr +P+) that can get most close in jobs done efficiently. But, every time I put it on I hope and pray that it will not be needed…