Alternate question: Where have you found handy, dandy useful gear at a good price where you didn't expect to?

A: The grocery store and chain drug store. Many grocery stores and drug stores carry seasonal items, often at not so great prices. But, at the end of the season they try to clear it out as fast as possible. For examples, I have got great deals on light sticks by digging through the after Halloween stuff. After Christmas, the overpriced food gift boxes go on sale. Last year I caught some half pound beef sticks for a buck each that made great camping food. Just be sure to check the expriation dates. End of summer is a good time to watch for things like coolers, water bottles, outdoor cooking equipment ...

B. X-mart stores. Usually after fishing, hunting, whatever season is a good time to check clearance bins a the big box stores. Last winter I got a Gerber Multi-tool for $11 in the after holiday clearance. This weekend I picked up a box of 24 12-guage 3 inch Mags for $4. Yes, 24. One shell was missing and the "broken" box of shells wound up on the clearance shelf.

C. Mall department stores discount racks at the end of season. You can get some great deals on name brand windbreakers, fleece jackets, and such at the end of winter, especially if you are not too particular about color or style.

The trick is to watch out for gear when you are not really shopping for gear.