I've had one for a few years, though it is not part of my BOB pkg. I have a different firearm(s) for that pkg.

This is a practical 22 carbine. It is a takedown, with the barrel and receiver disassembling easily and stowing in the butt stock, along with the magazine and a 50 rnd box of ammo in a watertight cavity that is sealed with a removalbe buttpad. It floats if dropped in water. It is a semi-automatic, which is not as desirable as a manual action, but it is reliable enough for survival use. It is moderately accurate with standard ammunition. Adding a scope to the pkg defeats it's takedown and stowage aspects, but does improve the abilities of the firearm some. While it is lighter than my Ruger 10/22, you will be surprised at how heavy it still feels in your pack in stowage mode. I've been able to make decent shots with it at 50 feet, and I can reliably shoot varmint sized game to 50 yards with it, which is almost as good as I can do with my other more conventional 22s. What this little unit needs is a small cleaning kit to go with it, but I guess you can pack that separately if need be.

I use Aquila Supersonic hp or Remington yellowjacket or any equivalent rounds. I consider the 22 a marginal round for survival, but it is far superior to throwing rocks. You just have to work a little harder to get the right shot is all.

I would still prefer a takedown 410 in a similar package, even if only a single shot.