As an alternative, might I suggest these little gems:

http://www.pricesmart.com/warehouses/Rainy2005/885860.htm

I happened across a pair of these the last time I was home at Costco. When I realized what I was looking at (about 3/10's of a second later), I glommed a pair like Daffy Duck would a big ruby in the Cave of Wonder. I brought them to Baghdad with me. One of them is stuck to the wall with velcro right next to my pillow in my hooch, the other is with me all the rest of the time in my shoulder bag. I can tell you, they are a full 3 LEDs bright, they are easy to crank and operate, they are ruggedly built (right down to the waterproof housing), the flash mode works very well. All in all, I'd say they were one of my better survival investments. Oh yeah, and they look like a hand phaser off of Star Trek TNG. I don't think they'd hold up to being run over much, but you can certainly drop them or submerge them without much worry. I haven't thought to check magnetic problems. I am sure it will likely be something to account for when using a compass.