A BIC, just like any other piece of equipment, has it's own operational merits and quirks. It has no adjustable flame. It has a constant flame which I like - it doesn't allow for accidental flipping to full power which singes facial hair or leak fuel at an excessive rate when the actuator is accidentally depressed. The actuator design allows for easy installation of a 4" cable tie to prohibit accidental activation.

It doesn't handle cold or water exposure well. Neither do I. Both will work extremely well when warm and dry. Both will work at reduced efficiency when cold and damp. Both are easy to dry when wet.

The BIC doesn't readily reveal how much fluid remains. On the lighter colored models, I use my light behind the barrel/fuel storage tank and I can see what's left. On the dark models, I look through the fuel window at the base of the lighter to get an idea of how much fuel remains.

My BIC lighter doesn't have any politics. I don't care where it came from as long as it's not made by slaves and/or its purchase doesn't support a PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. economy and government. Whether or not France's current politics have any merit here isn't even argueable - we're talking gear merit not political theory.

Put simply, I can live with BIC's quirks. They work well for me and fit into my lifestyle and I rely upon them as a part of my emergency gear loadout...

M