But, you'll note that Cody clearly prefers an unnamed lighter brand other than Bic. I've found several lighters that look similar to the one he describes, but never knew what, if any, the brand is.

Since I don't smoke or light that many fires I've always figured I'd have at least three ways to start fire (lighter, sparker, magnifying glass). I don't even bother with matches these days. I tend to feel most comfortable with the sparker.

I have to admit I worry about the "complexity" of the sparklite relative to the simple rods. I worry that the wheel might not work, or the flint might not work. It seems that the rods are simpler and most likely to work - though usually requiring two hands and slightly more difficult to target the tinder.

I haven't tried to light a fire with a magnifying lens since I was a kid. Back then all we did was try to fry ants and smolder holes in dry leaves using the lens that came in Cracker Jacks. I should try it for real with the one in the PSP and see if I can get it to work.