I have heard people on this and other forums knock on the Zippo, which is not perfect but is a very dependable way to make fire if you do your part. Most of probably know to carry an extra flint or two under the felt (OK I have 4) but continue to complain about the fuel situation. OK, change it I tried several fuels until I found one that I liked. I am sure that there are better fuels out there but the Ronsonol fuel does well by me.
Many are crying in their beer about Zippos evaporating the fuel out of them. OK! Up sides: makes them unaffected by altitude (within reason), non-pressurized so unlikely to grenade on you, tough and simple to fix should you ding it. Down Side: Fuel evaporates, no problem fill it up!! It takes about 20-30 seconds as you go to stuff it in your pocket in the morning. I find that if I fill mine once a week when I go to put them in my dress clothes to go to church it will always light for me. I know it’s a stupid memory trick but it makes me do it every week.
Everyone is always looking for the perfect lighter, let me tell you it does not exist!! Find a good lighter learn to use it learn to combat its weaknesses, experiment with different fuels and flints and then have a backup plan or three. Then you will be able to be confident you can make fire when you want to.