Well, I hate to be the nasty redneck voice, but....

Bug out bags for folks in an urban or suburban area should, in my humble opinion, be enough to get you to shelter and stay there for a few days until the relief supplies start showing up. Please, I'm begging you, don't run to the "wilds" If you haven't preplanned it. Relief operations would be expecting people to be close to the incident, not 300 miles away. Mine is to get me from where I am to my folks, on foot if needed. I have the advantage in that I can probably count on safe haven, even if it means sleeping in the hay loft, every 10 miles or so on my primary, secondary and tertiary routes.

Let's say, for the sake of arguement, that someone nukes Boston. I'm three hours away if the roads are playing nice. IN those three hours, folks around here will strip the gas stations, grocery stores and everythign else of supplies, becuase we are painfully aware of the fact that most esscential services are resupplied every two to three days. And then, people dig in.

I hate to rain on people's parades, but many rural dwellers still harbour a certain distrust towards city people. (And in many places, it is getting worse, mostly due to property taxes jumping.) I would ask people to leave my family land if I didn't know them, and if I knew them, they would be able to go to the front door. Squatters would be unwelcome unless they could convince me a real hurry that I should let them stay there, and hungry kids wouldn't be enough. (We are talking like a surgeon, and I'd route you the hospital closest.) I'd give you basic first aid items if I had them to spare and you needed them, and I'd let you fill your water bottles from one of the ponds, but that would be it. And I'm a nice guy. A lot of my neighbors would assume you were looters.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I will say it as I see it. My family puts in a garden for 6 people, 60 would strip it in an hour or less. We have a well, it has a limit. We don't have much space in the house, and most of the land is forested- the last thing we'd need in that scenario is a forest fire started by someone careless. The game is finite. Yes, we have a bit of land. In a city, a couple thousand might live in the same amount of area. But we can not supply that many people.

I'm also assuming that anything that involved people running more than 100 miles would be bad. As in martial law bad.

Edited by ironsraven (07/13/05 11:33 PM)