When I was a kid growing up on the Redneck Rivera (Gulf Coast) we had little things called hurricanes that would come through from time to time to do structural test on the buildings in the area. Now many of these buildings would fail out right and leave nothing much but a foundation to remind people not to use that style of construction in the future. One such place was a Stop and Rob (Quick Stop Store) that had nothing left but the foundation and the rows of shelves and coolers. Not exactly something you could secure with a piece of plywood and a few nails. The owners however wished to control access to what would otherwise be help your self “shopping” and did it simply and easily with one small employee and one very large shotgun. It had the same effect as all the plywood and nails you could hope to have.
I have many ways to secure my place should it become damaged even though I don’t think it would be a big problem. Right now I lock my doors day and night not that I am afraid someone will break in a steal something. I do it to keep my mastiff from bounding out to guard the whole neighborhood. Should someone come into my house disaster or no disaster they could only hope I am home to rescue them from being sat on by the dog until I get home.