If I had to bugout my sidearm would be my 4" barrel Ruger GP100 357 mag. revolver. I also like to carry a firearm when I go hiking . The GP100 is kind of heavy but I like it and I don't mind the added weight. I'm not worried about any 4 legged creatures I might run into - black bears,coyotes,and an ocasional moose. There is no way I would stop a charging moose with a 357 revolver and I wouldn't try to. Actually, when I do spot one of these creatures it makes my day. I hike alone alot and these days you never know what kind of 2 legged predators you will run into. I also feel that I'm a good enough shot that I could bag some small game shooting 38 special ammo if I had to. I also feel more secure having my bugout sidearm with me in case tshtf when I was out hiking. If I was home and had to bugout I'd also grab my shotgun. My problem is that I can't find a good holster. Most holsters I see are made for semi auto pistols. I like to carry it on my belt , stong side carry, or a good gear belt if I could find one Ilike. Would like to have a holster with a flap on it to keep off rain and dirt. Also would like to hear any suggestions on good ways to pack cleaning kits .