Here in the northeast , where I have lived most of my life , I don't think bugging out is an option. If you left your home , or any place you happened to be at the time , during a disaster situation you wouldn't get very far. Because it is so densly populated here the traffic jambs and the number of unprepared , panicking people would make bugging out more dangerous than any disaster scenrio. I think it would be wise to put more emphasis on being prepared to stay where you are. In my home I have the usual emergency supplies - plenty of water ,food ,flashlights,candles ,radio,med kit , etc.and also have duct tape and plastic to cover doors and windows. I would like to get a HEPA filter but can't afford it yet. Also have items for self defence , hope it dosen't come to that. My vehicle is also well stocked with survival stuff. If I'm in my vehicle and tshtf I plan to stay in it for a while. I drive a cargo van so it might make more sence for me to stay put than someone with a small car. An item I keep in my truck you might want to get is a chemical protection suit . Got it from www.gemplers.com. They also have agood selection of respirators ,eye protection and other stuff you might find usefull. Also plan to get some fire protection headgear to try on my dog from websoft solutions.net. An item you might want to put in your med kit or for your edc is a bottle of saline eyewash. . Just wanted to add my 2 cents.