Quote:
Part of the point of the Orb Raw is that it's tiny. Under 2 inches long and less than an inch wide. It weighs 30g. It's a keyring light that puts out 100 lumen.

That's pretty cool. I didn't know it was so small. Sounds a lot like the size of the E1e.

Quote:
I recently bought a Surefire L1 which I did intend as a suvival light, but I'm disappointed with it,

What don't you like? Too focused? You could consider adding a F04 beamshaper.

Quote:
so I'm casting around for alternatives.

Personally, I think an optimal EDC situation is something that can go from about 2 to 60 lumens in at least three steps.

The only real thing close to that at this time is the SF U2. With six output levels and 100 lumens, I think this would be a reasonable all-in-one solution.

Other than that, I think the next best thing would be a combo. In order to get three levels, at least one of the lights would have to be a multi level light.

My solution is a SF E2e (sometimes SF M2) + SF L1 (old style). I'm very happy with this, but if I was going to do it all over again, I would use a SF E2e + HDSsystems.com EDC light with beamshaper lens AND diffuser (I think task lights should be very "flood").

-john

Edited by JohnN (07/09/05 10:08 PM)