1) Bowline on a Coil: Quickest, securist knot I know to tie around a persons waist when a split second is critical.

2) Double Figure Eight: Maintains ropes strength, can be used in the middle of a rope for connecting climbers, z drags, c drags, ect.

3) Clove Hitch with Quick Release : usefull for tying small diameter cord as its a strong knot and easy to untie.

4) Water Knot: Tie sling material together.

5) Munter Hitch: Rappelling and Belaying. Can be tied to load end to secure.

6) Swiss Seat: creates a harness out of rope or webbing.

7) Hasty Rappel: Term I created for a no harness rapell with a prusik as a break and the rapeller's arms as a friction device.

8) Kleimheist: Friction knot. It can use webbing or cord versus the prusik which only uses cord.

9) Tautline hitch. anwhere you need an adjustable cord, tent guys, etc.

10) Double Sheet Bend. Ties two ropes together of different diameters. Ties cord to a tarp without grommets.

I don't suggest only learning these 10. I know perhaps a hundred different knots, most of which are more suitable. As ten knots go I think these are fairly simple, no gimmick knots that anyone could learn in an hour or two of practise. As such, they are easier to remember when the pressure's on.

Of course, back up all your knots with overhands, half hitches, or double fisherman's.

Only carry cheat sheets for when your unconscious. Ten minutes a day of practise could save your life. Besides, tying knots is fun.

I've made my own cards from color photocopies. Download from the web, shrink or expand to size, do a little cleaning up of the picture in Paint, put them all on a strip of paper, laminate and accordian fold .