benjammin,

If your animal control authorities are ineffective, then document it, complain to their departmental manager, the political authorities who run the department or governmental entity, and publicize it in your local newspaper/radio/TV station. Fix your problems; don't dump them on others. Your approach not only leaves the scofflaw owners unpunished, but you are also enabling the laziness or ineffectualiy of your animal control authorities on whom you are wasting your tax dollars. You might also be able take civil and criminal legal action against the owner depending on the circumstances.

You need to do some serious rethinking.

Let's analyze your present approach: When you have a problem with trespassing vicious dogs, you trap them and take them out of your neighborhood in order to dump them on new victims in a different area. Thus you do not eliminate predatory animals. You enable them to find unsuspecting fresh victims. You ignore the owner's responsibility. So in addition to the harm you inflict on the innocent, you surreptitiously steal the dog and leave the abusive owner unpunished and free to get more dogs to prey on his neighbors.

Besides the moral and practical obnoxiousness of your approach, you commit theft, you abuse and abandon animals of which you have control or custody, and you endanger the public (as well as livestock) by setting dangerous animals loose on it.

Incidentally, I was not unprepared when I repelled the 2 dogs attacking my son. I prevailed over them. My son and I sustained only superficial leg wounds. Afterwards I took legal action against the owner for allowing such dangerous animals to attack us. In contrast to your approach: I directly resolved the problem; I did not shift it to innocent victims; and I turned the consequences of the irresponsible behavior back on the owner.

John