I don't get them the way I used to, but here's what I do:

I usually carry a needle and a lighter in my EDC, so I heat up the tip of the needle, then let it cool, then poke it into the edge of the blister and roll my finger over the blister to squeeze out the juice.

I put the moleskin right over the blister and leave it there until it starts to roll or otherwise come off by itself.

My ditzy sister pulls off the moleskin as soon as she gets home. That way, the top of the blister tends to come off with the moleskin, it usually hurts, & she's now got a raw sore on her foot that she has to deal with.

I have absolutely nothing to back it up, but I feel that the skin of the top of the blister may still be alive, just separated from the deeper part of the skin. If it is alive and the source of friction is removed, it may heal back to the skin underneath. If it's dead, it is still a source of protection until the raw part starts to heal.

I DID read something somewhere that said if exterior skin cuts and abrasions are covered and kept moist (as with Neosporin, etc), it will heal faster and is not as likely to scar.

Sue