Quote:
I would still rather have a device that operates as part of a dedicated system, rather than have to wait for an aircraft to get near enough to reach over the two way.

The thing to remember though is that a plane is 10,000 +/- ft in the air (and point to point may be a couple miles more/less) but there is usually nothing between you and the plane to cause interference. That same distance on the ground has a lot of interference possibilities.

As cedfire said, you can use any radio frequency to call for help in an emergency. Specifically written for ham radio but it is good for all:

“CFR Title 47 Sec. 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radio communication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.”

CFR title 47 has the rules for the FCC.

You can purchase ham radios that can receive AM aircraft band and allow transmission on ham bands. Most radios have the capability of being “opened up” to transmit on any frequency that it can receive. I do not condone this but I know that radios made for hams also will work, when modified, for other services like the Military Affiliate Radio Service (MARS). They use frequencies outside of the ham bands.

Getting your ham license is fairly easy and most clubs have classes that allow you to get your license in 2 days. Having a ham license opens up a lot more possibilities. A PLB only gives 1 (albeit good) level of communication. A minor problem that could develop into an emergency could be handled through ham radio before is becomes life threatening.

Can't change the weather. Might as well enjoy it.