For one thing, the author fails to mention WHY people are told not to use the elevators in the event of a fire. An elevator shaft is one big column of air - in a fire, it is very likely to turn into a gigantic blow torch. In fact, there were reports following the disaster that "molten steel" had been found at the base of several of the elevator shafts. I suspect the person who described this meant that they found steel that had melted (and then cooled) rather than that it was still in a molten state weeks after the tragedy, as some conspiracy websites maintained. This doesn't surprise me, as the intensity of the fire, shooting up a vertical empty tube, fed with a boundless supply of air from below, would very likely have produced a flame hot enough to melt the steel cables and other stuff inside an elevator shaft.

Laurence Gonzales ("Deep Survival") argued that "rule followers" are less likely to survive than "rule breakers", but I suspect he meant that survivors don't follow rules blindly. Sometimes, people follow rules long after they've forgotten why the rule was implemented in the first place.