I took into account human nature (mine) and decided it wasn't "What do I need?" but "What will I carry?". There's just no way I'll faithfully have with me everything (or even most things) that could reasonably be required.

I figure the absolute minimum is some sort of knife and a flashlight. I work inside a large building. If the power goes out , I'm no where near a window. And the knife has so many non survival uses it's easy to justify that.

That said, I do carry more stuff, but I've added it on only until it becomes a problem. I have a whistle, a small fire steel and a AAA flashlight on a keychain. In the wallet is a knife sharpener, tender quik (pressed flat), a P38, bandaids, cash, credit cards, etc. I've been carrying a Leatherman Squirt P4 for the tools, but it's heavier than I'd like for EDC pocket carry. Oh, and a cell phone.

(It's this bad... I carried 3 yds of paracord wrapped around my flashlight. I've dropped it from EDC because it's just too bulky.)

I've looked at my situation (live 5 miles from work) and, after factoring in my lazy nature and a crude analysis of the likely threats, decided the above puts me waaaaay ahead of nearly everyone else even if it isn't as full featured as it probably ought to be.