I'm a newbie at sharpening and believe I'm ending up with a wire edge probably. Feels fantastic slicing that first tomato, equally great on the second, but already starting to feel a tad duller on the third. Not exactly a durable edge there! I'm using a Gatco clamp-and-rod guided sharpener set at the next to thickest edge setting. The knife is pretty much a cheapie, but I like it. A Kershaw Ken Onion Vapor (plain, not serrated). I've seen wire edges mentioned in many places, but nothing really on how to detect if you're creating one, other than the after-the-fact symptom of quick dulling. Also, the standard recommendation of how to stop making a wire edge is something like "Be careful not to create a wire edge next time". Well duh. But HOW do you do that? I also have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, but thought my problems might have been an inconsistant angle, so I got the Gatco to see if that would help. That, and the Sharpmaker seemed to take me FOREVER to sharpen with and I tended to press so hard that my hands ached and cramped. And if that's not enough, I rounded off the tip of the knife the last time I used the Sharpmaker. I TOLD you I was a newbie! Can anyone give me any pointers that would be meaningful to a complete sharpening moron (me!) ? Thanks!