Hello , All --<br><br> Thanks for the great responses on the above subject.<br><br>You know, I got to thinking (dangerous, that) after rereading the thread on oven bags versus condoms, etc., for emergency water storage and carry.<br><br> I've already converted to a roaster bag in my PSK (two, actually -- they fold awfully flat).<br><br> But this thread started talking about outings where you've already planned on taking a water container with you -- a canteen, Nalgen bottle, or some such.<br><br> If you settle on the traditional mil-spec canteen and nesting cup in a fleece carrier (as I seem to have), the question arises -- what if I need to carry more than a quart of water? What if there's an opportunity to stock up, and a likelihood that water will be difficult to come by down the road? <br><br>There's always the larger canteen idea, or the folding water bag idea, but that's extra gear & bulk for a day hiker, or someone who just needs to carry water back from the stream to the camp site.<br><br> Then it occurred to me that a couple of oven bags would slide right into the canteen cover (under the cup, perhaps, or alongside the canteen.)<br><br> Then you could fill the milspec canteen PLUS the roaster bag(s) -- and carry the canteen separately (or in backpack, daypack, etc.) That would then solve the problem of "how to I carry a roaster bag of water securely?" -- if you knotted/tied the full roaster bag and carried it INSIDE the canteen cover for protection, and ease of carry. In a pinch (dishwashing, inconvenient camp site, whatever) you could also press the canteen cup into service as a third carrier/protection device for the bag.<br><br> That seems to make sense to me -- if you've got a milspec canteen setup to start with. Now you're able to carry two or three quarts of water with no extra gear when you don't want it.<br><br> Meanwhile, if the spare bags in the bottom of your canteen rig are unused as a water carrier, you've got extra clear bags that could be used for other purposes -- leaf transpiration water collector, dry storage, or whatever. <br><br> You could probably also slip a trash bag or two inside the canteen cover for other uses.<br><br> I've been trying to figure out the best (for me) day hiking kind of kit to use any time I'm off the beaten track. I think this idea, plus a couple of compass pouches for PSK & first aid kit and a knife meets the requirement. <br><br>If I want to add a poncho, I see that Bri9gade Quartermasters has a neat Danish surplus poncho carrier that puts a rolled up poncho on your belt, too.<br><br> Should all fit. What else could a guy want?<br><br> Keep those good ideas coming!<br> Regards -- Karl<br>