>> I can't help but be reminded of a recent thread over at BF about fixed blade knives being banned in the BSA. <<

They are not banned. I let some of my scouts carry them in their packs whenever 1) We are not on our local reservation 2) They ask me in advance.

Local policies vary all over the place. Sometimes there are good reasons for the policies and sometimes there are not. Just like life in general...

I've come up with some "legal" alternatives for some big knife tasks when we are on our reservation - basically a cross between a small froe and a drawknife. One variation works best as a froe because it's mild steel. The other works as either - it's made of hardened and tempered steel. A third variation based on a utility file (integral handle) works OK, but the teeth get loaded up with wood pulp when splitting and a little extra care is required to use the file (one edge sharp) as a file.

Grind up a knife with no point, put a handle on it, call it a wood splitter and it seems to be OK with about anyone.

I would just as soon never see most of my scouts with an axe or hatchet, but alas! It's still part of the Totin' Chip requirements. My Dad taught me axemanship starting at the ripe old age of 5 and I did the same with my boys - plus we all had/have enough opportunities to practice enough to stay moderately skilled but infrequently enough to remain respectful. Even my one rural scout doesn't use an axe at home, so... I'd rather see axes go away from scouts. 30 minutes (or less) a month just doesn't do anything more than make them dangerous.