<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The alternative is to base your carry on a GI web belt to carry your ALICE- clipped canteen, clipped on pouches, etc. But then you still need some kind of daypack or alternate gear carrier for other essentials that won't fit on the web belt.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Well, if you were to use web gear to hang everything from, why not use a butt pack (the original fanny pack) for the rest of the stuff? They were designed for exactly that purpose... I have little personal experience with them - school-house only - because I always served in units that were better equipped to travel by shank's mare. But what you describe is what the butt, er, "combat pack" was used for.<br><br>Personally, I'm not crazy about the idea - web gear seems to invite getting caught on everything it possibly can get caught on, and things tangle up everytime you take it off. If you can stand the weight around your midsection (I don't care for fanny packs; others like them), a web belt, canteen, couple of pouches, and perhaps a butt pack with a stiffener in it would work OK. It's hard to get a butt pack to ride correctly without the harness, tho. Wouldn't a bookbag sized day pack be cheaper and simpler?<br><br>Just my 2cents worth...<br><br>Scouter Tom<br>