Thanks to all of you for the input.
I should have been clearer about the kit size. With the exception of the knife and light stick, the kit contents need to fit in the single pocket in the existing PFD. That's the main reason for the CD mirror is it is thinner than the normal signal mirror. I should also have added that I always carry a Leatherman Wave, AA Maglite, and Doan magnesium block in a belt pouch.
The hexamene block is a firestarter as I have had variable success with the cotton/petrolium jelly type.
I agree an emergency locator beacon would be a nice, tho expensive, addition. It, and any bulkier gear such as maps, GPS, metal cup etc would reside in the Woodsloafer's day pack tied in to the boat.
I have been looking for a PFD that has more storage pockets, but I'm concerned about comfort and gear restrictions while paddling. I'll take a look at Cabella's. I am also considering a manually inflaitable type III PFD, like the Sospenders units. The waist belt could be replaced by a fanny pack belt and the unit inflated by mouth prior to running any rapids.
I'll let you know when I complete the level II kit and add the inside pockets to the Extrasport PFD.
By the way, a few years ago, I recall seeing a thin pack designed to be fastened to the back of a PFD. Anyone remember the manufacturer; it seems it was a PFD maker?