Quote:
One thing that's occurred to me is that if I have to "land out", and I didnt' have to use the chute, I'd consider deploying it if I needed a supply of cord or tenting material, especially if the plane was totalled. Keep that in mind when packing survival gear.

Going off what what Goatrider said, I would consider picking up one of the Air Force survival manuals. It discusses how to make various shelters out of a parachute. Of course, using the aircraft's chute will make much bigger shelters than the ones displayed in the book. Could be useful for making a 2 person shelter, but you don't want to make them too big.

Another thing to remember is that for one reason or another you may only be able to make it out of the plane with what you are wearing. I would consider going down to the surplus store and picking up a military flight suit, they have a lot of pockets for storing useful stuff. You could also get a vest of some kind for storing additional items. (Get flight suits and vests for both you and your wife) Load up the flight suits and vests with suvival essentials. Beyond that I would try and limit your additional survival gear to a daypack (maybe 2, 1 for you and 1 for the wife) filled with a first aid kit, water, shelter, and food.

Robert