I had several comments, but they have pretty much been covered here. I think she did quite well. The only things I really think she could have benefited from would have been a beacon or a phone capable of getting service where she was.

I can't find anywhere in the article that said she hadn't told anybody where she was. Even if she had, when would they have started looking for her and would it have done her any good? Just because they may have known the area she was in it may have taken forever to find her. She may have frozen to death waiting for somebody else to come get her. Better to have a clear head and know what you are doing and it sounds like she did. If you are lost it is often good to wait, but she wasn't lost.

She could have signaled for rescuers too I suppose, but if I knew where I was and had that type of injury I would have started crawling instead of waiting on the unknown variable of a rescue crew.

Sometimes the only reason I go to the woods is so I can be alone. It is incredibly uplifting to go spend some hours or days alone in the wilderness.

I think a PLB would be the only thing she really should have had. They are still expensive and not common everywhere yet, so who knows. A "instant splint" would have been useful maybe, but a broken ankle is a bit more complicated than a broken leg. She still may not have been able to walk.

She is alive and in pretty good shape all things considered. What more could you ask for in that situation?