New Jersey law says I can carry basically any fixed blade other then a dagger, dirk, or stiletto as long as I am not carrying it with intent to harm another person. So, being I work in construction I could carry one of those straight ones and probibly get away with saying I carry it because I can use it to cut things and still keep the knife in my hands while working up on the scissor lift and loader, ( basically high places), where to put a knife down could be a potential hazard to people below if it was to fall off. As long as you have a good reason other then "personal defense" and the law doesn't say "no fixed blades" or "no hidden knives" or something like that (basically a description of what you are carrying) you should be able to carry it, just make sure you have your lawyers phone number handy. You have to remember that the way the law is written if a cop wants something to be illegal then it will be taken from you anyway, if the cop is having a bad day you will get hassled for something no matter what. I keep in my head that all my knives are for utility and if I do happen to use them in defense I expect to be locked up for a while or atleast fined/have to pay some fee. Therefore, unless the other guy has a knife or something worse or i'm being beaten by a group the knife stays hidden. You have to treat it with the same respect as a firearm, you don't go pulling your gun out everytime someone says they want to fight you.