Cameron,

Heck, I've been trying to stay out of this thread... anyway, the very most important thing is that no one was hurt and no damage was done.

Out of curiosity - did anyone in your party happen to smell the bear at any point or was the bear downwind from everyone? They have a pretty distinct odor.

IMHO if one carries a means of self protection into the wilderness, keep it on you at all times. Really really at all times. Doesn't matter if it's pepper spray, a shotgun, a walking stick, or a blaster. It's useless if it's not on you or at arm's reach (literally). That is a habit and it takes discipline to develop.

As for the rest of your questions (and what others have posed) <shrug> I wasn't there. I would not have deliberately loosed a round off as you reported doing and have refrained from doing so in somewhat similar circumstances, but I am not fearful of shooting when it's required - but AT the identified threat to kill it, not to make a noise. That's me and that's my advice.

FWIW, a 45ACP is perfectly capable of killing a bear, as has been amply demonstrated many times. A 45ACP is unlikely in a do-or-die close range situation to prevent the bear from maiming and/or killing one or more folks before the bear expires. Ditto for a 357 magnum or any lesser handgun calibers, and I spent quite a bit of time discussing a horrible incident with a man who was severely maimed while up a tree by a smallish black bear that he had whacked 5 times with a NAA 454 Magnum pistol AFTER he put a broadhead thru the bear and thought it had expired... I've personally taken two grizzlies in Alaska and have seen several other (black) bears taken - all with rifles. If I carry a pistol in bear country, it's either a 44 Redhawk or a well-used and familiar very-heavily-loaded 45 Colt Blackhawk and they comfort me only a little when thinking about in-my-face bears. An inexpensive single shot 12 gauge doesn't weigh that much more and would be a lot more effective if ever needed - I say that as food-for-thought.

OTOH, a 45ACP is fine for protection against two-legged monsters - see above caveats.

As for the horsemen - who knows? The arrogant, thoughtless, and abusive behavior of so many "local" western horsemen on public lands that I have witnessed over the years has whipped me into such a froth that I refuse to hunt several western states any longer. I've met some really decent and considerate folks perched astraddle a horse, but that sort of person seems to be a vanishing breed. I tend to agree, however, that the folks who rode into your camp probably had no bad intentions, whomever they really were.

Again, no one was injured and you're braver than I am - you posed the questions here...

Regards,

Tom