Paulr:

There are people on this forum more technically knowledgeble about ballistics than I am, but here is my take on guns in the woods.

If I ever went anywhere where bears, cougars, mountain lions, wolves, or bobcats were a concern, I would not depend on a .45 ACP as a camp security sidearm. Those who have seen my previous posts know I am a huge fan of the .45 auto, but not against the aforementioned animals. I would prefer a .38 Super in semi-auto format because of the drop-away magazine feature, or a .357 magnum with at least a 4 inch barrel with speed loaders. The reason for the .357 magnum over a .44 magnum which would be a superior cartridge is the .357's lower recoil for multiple shot target aquisition and a better chance at multiple hits. The head would be my target of choice so that if the shot does not kill, it will still hurt, hopefully enough to change the animals mind about continueing the attack. I know some of you will contend that hurting a large hunting animal will make it angry and more vicious, but I personally believe that is primarily a human response commonly known as "vengence". I would be inclined to believe animal suffering pain would tend to back away from that pain. One of the main reasons I believe that has to do with a story I read about a man that was attacked and knocked off his horse by a mountain lion and manged to fight it off with a tree branch. Now a tree branch to the head of a mountain lion can not compare in pain to even a lowly .22 to the head for the infliction of pain. After that incident, he went riding with a sidearm which I believe was a .357 magnum strapped to his belt, and I believe he also attached a lanyard to the sidearm.

In the woods of Wisconsin, where the biggest animals are black bear, deer, and an occasional wolf, I feel quite comfortable with a sling shot and a .22 caliber semi-auto rifle as a camp gun. The thing I fear most in the Wisconsin woods would be a pack of feral dogs, and for that, I would feel safe with my Ruger .22 caliber semi-auto pistol.

The best advice has always been to just stay away from dangerous animals unless you are hunting them, and then you should have what you really need to put the animal down quickly and humanely.

Bountyhunter