Cameron2trade:

I don't know you or how often you utilize and/or practice with the pistol you borrowed. I have used and owned a variety of weapons, and from an academic standpoint know about quite a few weapons.

The weapons I consider myself "familiar" with are the ones I own, (I have not "borrowed" or used anyone elses firearm in more than 35 years.) use, practice with, and clean on a regular basis. From my point of view, picking up a firearm that is similar to one I own or have handled before and do not access on a regular basis does not constitute "familiarity" with it. Two firearms coming off the same assembly line with a 1 digit difference in serial numbers can be vastly different in their response to being used by different people. The only thing in my book that qualifies me to handle "strange" firearms is the same consistent safety procedures. Trigger response, recoil, point of aim, point of impact, handling different types of ammo, and other factors make the same model firearm different from one you handle, use, and clean on a regular basis.

Being licensed in the State of Wisconsin to ride motorcycles, I have owned several motorcycles, and scooters in my lifetime, and I am currently looking to buy 1 or 2 scooters of 50cc 2-stroke or 150cc up to 400cc 4-stroke. One of the things I read early on in my bike riding days was that most motorcycle and scooter accidents involve new owners and borrowed bikes. Owning a particular motocycle or scooter and using another one of the same size and model does not garuantee the same behavioral aspects of the one you own. I don't know if any such studies have been made in the firearms arena, but I am willing to bet that missed, errant, and accidental shots have probably been more likely with borrowed firearms.

Bountyhunter