I've had numerous instances where a flashlight has been needed in everyday urban carry:

1) The power died in the Puplic complex in which I was attending a hockey game. I had just gotten my drinks and food when it went totally dark. It stayed that way for 40-50 mins. During this time, I took my stuff to my seat and helped a lot of stranded folks get to theirs.

2) I frequently need a light for dimly lit areas of my CPU at work, under my cube, etc.

3) My current job is in a building that has had 1-2 power outages a year...sometimes they include the emergency backup system.

4) Urban carry often requires a light for ummm...investigation...'nuff said.

5) My dome lights and trunk lights don't exactly do a bangup job of lighting all areas of my car.

6) I've been trapped in an elevator without power. Some folks freak in the dark. I can always use the nap! <grin>

7) I've hd to go to places with little or no light as protection against storms, tornadoes and hurricanes. While I don't live on a fault line, there is one a few hundred miles away that the scientific community says is heading for some activity. We had a tremor several years ago that I felt where I live. Predictions are that my area could be greatly affected. I've been slowly warming up to the fact that I need to plan for this. Lights go everywhere.