I was poking around the first aid aisle of a supermarket as I often do and stumbled on the Swab-Plus 3 step first aid kit. I was curious enough to buy this because it had ready-use swabs of both povidone iodine and lidocaine/Benzalkonium Chloride.

On closer inspection, the swabs are packaged in non-sterile plastic pocket packs that don't appear to be air tight. So that means to me:
a) I wouldn't want to use either of these on open wounds since the package is clearly labeled non-sterile
b) because the swabs themselves have a tendency to dry out the liquid inside (from my own personal experience, your mileage may vary), and they are not individually wrapped chances are you if you don't use them right away the liquid will have probably evaporated.

For those who haven't seen the swab-plus products they're the size and shape of Q-tips and you snap one end to release liquid into the swab at the other end. Since it's difficult to find small single-use packages of povidone iodine (aka Betadine) without sending away to medical supply stores or purchasing a full kit I was hoping this would be a good candidate for a small first-aid/supply kit but I would think the reasons above would be a deal breaker.

Does anyone with a medical background care to weigh in on this, I've always read that you never want to apply anything to a wound that is non-sterile. I won't even bother rating the generic bandages that came in the package since as Doug points out the plastic ones are usually throw-aways that should be replaced anyway.

So, is there any reason at all to carry a non-sterile povidone iodine or disinfectant applicator in a first aid kit? The only legit use I could see would be disinfecting unbroken skin like for an IV or syringe needle but no one is going to buy that in a supermarket so I guess I'm confused and out a few bucks.

Product link: http://www.swabplus.com/product_list.asp?catid=1