I usually don't reply to posts from teh past, but since I'm looking at repacking the BOB in a few weeks....

I suggest two or three MREs for everyone, becuase you don't have to do anything with them other than open and eat. If it is cold, ytuo just have to heat water, and you have what is almost a real meal. Your body will thank you, partially from a moral point of view, partially becuase something warm inside is more efficent that something warm outside.

Also pack Mainstays (when I'm bugging and running, I want to be able to eat on the go if needed), and real food. For me right now, that is rice, home made beef jerky (dry, hard, and almost able to hold an edge), dried carrots and peas, some soy nuts, dried fruit, and a tiny squirt bottle of canola oil. Add butter buds, salt, pepper, MILD chilli powder, ketchup and bbq sause packets, along with morale items like hard candies, bullion cubes (beef, chicken and veggie flavors), honey packets, lemon crystal packets, tea bags (earl grey, green, and the red stuff from south africa), coffee bags (for trading), and electrolyte tablets to disolve in water with pre-sweetened koolaid-type stuff.

Yes, my BOB has a variety of food in it. But that whole load is fairly small. The spices are in tiny shakers that hold about a table spoon each (found them at a yard sale); the oil is in a 4 ounce flask.

And I just found these guys:
http://www.theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html
$1.75 for entrees, and they have the cheese spread packs. *licks lips* I might be running for my life, but why eat like it. :P And if any one knows of a civilian manufacture who is currently making the ham omlette, let me know. I liked it.

Edited by ironsraven (07/10/05 05:44 PM)