I was watching some coverage of the earthquake/tsunami the other day and it occured to me that if a 9.0 magnitude quake (or maybe one considerably smaller than that even) were to hit my earthquake-prone area, then my house would most likely be a large, flattened pile of lumber. Assuming I survived, how would I get to my survival supplies and gear that, by and large, I have stored in the basement?

My solution was to move all my supplies and a large portion of my camping gear out to my 19' travel trailer. If a quake hits then at least the trailer will not collapse and destroy my goods. I had to empty out some of my water to allow for freeze/thaw but aside from that it worked out well. If my house is destroyed or rendered uninhabitable then I'll likely be bunking out there anyway, and it is easy enough to remove some of it if a trip is planned.

The downside is the risk of theft, but all the gear is inexpensive and older coleman-style stuff that is easily replaced if stolen.

My guns are another matter. I obviously won't be keeping any of them out there. This needs some more thought. Ideas anyone?

Regards, Vince