On the Campfire (where the fires burn a little cooler) Ayers posted an interesting thread which may belong over here. <br><br>In survival situations we may need light for many things but it can certainly destroy "temporarily" our night vision and hamper our movement in the night. In a darkened building or cave where there is absolutely no light there is also no "night vision" but outside under stars and moon night vision is often preferrable over artificial light for moving about. <br><br>Anyone have any other experience on using natural night vision and the consequences of artificial light. If you are moving about a camp which has a fire burning you probably don't have any night vision anyway since the fire is in your eyes. In such a circumstance it may be necessary to use a light to look into your kit or whatnot.<br><br>Most of my survival thoughts say that one shouldn't be moving about after night-fall in any case unless absolutely necessary. For getting around a camp or reading or cooking it may often be helpful to have some artificial light. For instance, it is quite difficult to know the state of your supper in the pot while looking down into the fire. A flashlight can quickly illuminate the issue and show you that dinner is boiling and ready. <br>Reading by moonlight is possible but for me I find something brighter necessary except under a full moon.<br><br>Keeping the weeker from fear is often a valid use of artificial light but that purpose can easily be served by low level illumination such as would be provided by a beta light, Krill light or a chem-light. <br><br>Handling any type of injury in the dark, even in the brightest moonlight is very difficult and risky. It is almost impossible to position the victim, care-giver and wound in such an arrangement that care can be provided while the moon is illuminating the scene. Such medicine is potentially more dangerous that helpful. For such work nothing beats a good head mounted lamp. This provides strong illumination where the work is being done while freeing the hands to do the work.<br><br>My experience with the Photon II leads me to believe that with the mod. of a little velcro on the back and on the cap a decent head lamp can be configured. I have also looked at the Petzle Zipka lamp. It's price has prevented me from reviewing it but it has 3 LED's so is much brighter and it is somewhat bulkier. Wouldn't fit in the Altoids tin but probably will get a place in my fanny-pack. Runs on larger batteries as well so probably has a reasonable working life. Anyone have one of these?