There is an alternative. The rules for checked luggage are different if you have a properly declared handgun in your suitcase. The TSA baggage screeners will check your bag before you leave and it must be locked in transit. The rules relating to firearms in checked baggage require that neither the airline nor TSA have the keys or combination(s) to the locks. The suitcase itself can generally (depends on the specific airline) be softsided as long as the handgun is in a hardcase inside the suitcase.

So if you don't want someone snooping through your bags when you're not there, travel with a (properly declared) firearm in your checked baggage. You can get more info on this topic by checking with your airline, or by going to the TSA web site (TSA Firearms and Ammunition) or by doing some reading on the 'packing.org' web site.

This course of action is not for everyone, but when I travel I always carry a handgun of some sort. I don't go to places where I'm not allowed to protect myself. I may only be able to have it in the Jeep or my hotel room, but that's better than nothing.

Dennis