Just curious what purpose the "covert" light source (beta light) fulfills for you - I'm interested in hearing "the rest of the story".<br><br>I've not seen or used a "beta light" (I assume that refers to beta radiation), but I have a more than passing familiarity with tritium-powered light sources - some of which are VERY bright (there are tritium-powered runway lights, for example). I gather that beta lights produce a very low level of visible light?<br><br>Personally, I prefer no artificial illumination most of the time, but I have "logged" thousands of hours doing that professionally, so maybe that's just a habit. If I do need artificial illumination, it needs to suit my task, and so far I have not found a use for a low level source to illuminate objects. I confess to a STRONG preference for red light, though. (Exception: when spelunking, I use artificial illumination and I prefer white for that - red is a so-so color then and offers no advantage to me.)<br><br>Before you reply - I posted this to the Campfire forum "just in case" it's not Survival forum conversation. With that in mind... IF indeed the main rationale is to avoid detection, I take it you are not personally familiar with light-amplification devices ("starlight scopes", Night vision goggles, etc.)? Hard to hide any artificial illumination from those, especially the big boys (LREO) that are specifically designed to find "the bad guys" even when they are NOT using any artificial illumination. Not a criticism, just a thought IF that's the objective.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom