I think flying on a comercial plane and every day wear are pretty different situations.

I tend to avoid *wearing* synthetics on planes for the reasons you mention, but have fleece and stuff in my pack with me (carry on). I also have a good light in my pocket with fresh batteries (typically a Surefire E2e). Consider the most likely situation is you are going to be stranded in some airport somewhere for a day or two with only the stuff in your carry on. My carry on reflects what I would need in that situation, including enough to keep me warm, something to nibble on, water, spare batteries, a little radio, GPS, first aid kit (razor removed!) including "comfort" meds like asprin and Tums, etc etc. While I don't have one, a heavy duty leather bomber jacket seems like it would be good on an airplane.

Normally, I would be inclined to wear fleece and other synthetics as weather dictates.

I tend to *always* wear good, sturdy boots. Everywhere. Here in the northwest, you don't even look out of place! :-) My Vasque Sundowners pretty much never leave my feet. Fairly light, decent ankle support, metal shank, semi-agressive soles and smooth leather to accept waterproofing (Snoseal or Nikiwax). Personally I tend to wear heavy cotton pants and a brushed cotton shirt. While these aren't the best when it comes to wet performance, they are fairly durable and socially acceptable. I temper that with clothes in my pack to make up the difference, including a Capeline expidition wt. top, silk wt., lt. fleece jacket, hats (Columbia Kazoo + OR Seattle Sombrero), gloves, hard shell, gloves, etc. Again, assume you are going to get stuck somewhere and all you have is what you have on you. Or assume you have to hoof it home from wherever you might be.

At least that is my approach to clothing. The upside is I can dress the same way pretty much all the time and I don't look too odd. At least until I open my backpack... :-O

-john