We've had a series of hard rain and electrical storms here in Southern California with @ 4" average so far. I have my first cold of the season, which hardly seems fair. People are running from their cars in flip flops and gymn sweats only to pause at this wierdo in a flectarn poncho. But, these are people that solemnly explain this rain is from the tsunami in Asia. The wave reached our shores yesterday at a recorded hieght of 8" above normal. I always carry at minimum a wool watch cap and mittens in a jacket of some sort. There is a suprising amount of insulation in both the urban and natural world- as long as you have a system to stuff it in. I like wool and leather. Even summer wieght woolen clothing works well if the layering principle is remembered and silk or woolen light longjohns are very flexible. We can't always have the perfect wardrobe for every scenario. But we can give ourselves the vital edge to function long enough to escape immediate danger and then construct a shelter or fire.