The more I learn, the more it’s clear; being a survivor is a way of life, a state of mind. I see the world around me a bit differently and I think that’s the point. I notice where the exits are, where the fire extinguishers are and I find myself figuring out different “escape” routs should “something” happen. Hurray for me, I woke up a little! So it’s not just an emergency thing, it’s a constant awareness. My daydreaming is now all about the “What if?” game. I now carry the ETS kit with me. I carry a pocketknife, a bandana, and a flashlight. I don’t think it should (or can) stop there.
Now the point…sort of.
Many years ago I heard an expert talking about a recent plane crash. He was giving advice as to what an ordinary passenger can do to up their chances of surviving a crash. As you might expect it involved keeping your seatbelt fastened and knowing where the closest exit was. Surprising to me at the time, it also involved wardrobe. Leather shoes with full rubber soles (no nylon with plastic) no heel, natural fiber cloths long sleeves and long pants, no skirts for the ladies. The expert said, if you survive the crash itself you much more likely to get out alive if you’re wearing the right cloths and know where and how to get out. I took this message to heart and always consider it before flying. Isn’t this something we should think of all the time? Even for everyday fires (if there is such a thing) the proper cloths can mean the difference between lost body hair and plastic melted to the skin causing scaring burns.
In your opinion, what should the “everyday survivor” wear everyday? I know it’s different depending on the climate and type of work, but in light of some of the new “fashion” that’s out there (some of it looks down right dangerous), there has to be clothing that is more or less safe.
Thoughts, comments…smart remarks?